Skip to Content

Students who plan to transfer to the University of California (UC) system should follow the requirements below. The requirements differ based on whether you:

  • Were eligible for admission to a UC directly after high school
  • Are only now eligible for admission to a UC as a community college transfer

Transfer Option 1: Eligible After High School

If you were eligible for admission to a particular UC when they graduated from high school (meaning you satisfied the subject, scholarship, and examination requirements), then you are eligible to transfer at any time if you maintain a C average (2.0 grade point average) in transferable coursework.

Transfer Option 2: Eligible Through Community College Transfer

Students who met the scholarship requirement after high school – but not the subject requirement – must take transferable college courses in the missing subjects, earn a C or better in each required course, and have an overall C average (2.0 GPA) in all transferable coursework to be eligible to transfer to a UC.

Students who met the scholarship requirement – but not the examination requirement – must complete a minimum of 12 semester units of transferable work and earn an overall C average (2.0 GPA) in all transferable college coursework completed.

Students who did not meet the scholarship requirement must:

  1. Complete 60 semester units of UC-transferable college credit with a grade point average of at least 2.4 for California residents, 2.8 for non-residents 1
  2. Complete the following course pattern, earning a grade of C or better in each course: 2
    • Two transferable college courses (3 semester units each) in English composition
    • One transferable college course (3 semester units) in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning
    • Four transferable college courses (3 semester units each) chosen from at least two of the following subject areas: the arts and humanities, the social and behavioral sciences, or the physical and biological sciences

1 Some campuses and majors may require more than the minimum GPA.
2 Note: Students who satisfy the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum prior to transferring to UC will satisfy number 2 above.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)

When you complete the IGETC pattern, you partially fulfill the 60-unit requirement for transfer to UC and complete the lower division general education breadth requirements. You should request your IGETC certification from the community college you last attended when your final transcript is sent to the UC campus.

The IGETC is best if you have not yet chosen a major or a campus. Once you have selected a major, it is important to begin fulfilling any required preparatory classes for that major. This is especially true for professional or "high unit" majors. If you are preparing for an engineering or a high-unit science major at a UC campus, then it is not advisable to use the IGETC. Instead you should concentrate on fulfilling the 60-unit admission requirement by completing lower division major preparation courses as well as the basic admission requirements listed above.

Helpful Hints

  • Connect with a counselor regularly to monitor your transfer progress.
  • Many courses other than the ones listed in the IGETC will transfer to UC. The units from those other courses will count toward the 60 units required to transfer as a junior. Check the catalog for the transfer status of any course.
  • Though transfers do not require an associate’s degree, it is easy to complete one while preparing to transfer. Learn more about getting a degree.
  • Check with your counselor about other courses needed for your major. In many cases, it will be to your advantage to complete all pre-major requirements as well as general education requirements before you transfer.