Skip to Content

Undocumented Students

Who Are Undocumented Students?

Undocumented students are foreign nationals for whom any of the following are true:
They entered the US without inspection
They entered the US legally but overstayed
They have or had Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status
They are in the process of legalizing
They are vulnerable immigrants

Who Are Undocumented Students?

Undocumented students are foreign nationals for whom any of the following are true:

  • They entered the US without inspection
  • They entered the US legally but overstayed
  • They have or previously had Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) status
  • They are currently in the process of legalizing*
  • They are vulnerable immigrants

The term "undocumented immigrant" refers to any person residing in any given country without legal documentation.

Application Process for Undocumented Students

  1. Complete the CCCApply application at
  2. Submit a California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Form to your college's Admissions and Records Office. *
  3. Complete the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by March 2 of every year.

* Email completed form to:


Report ICE Activity/Free Legal Consultation for Detainees

Call Sacramento Rapid Response Network at (916) 245-6773 to make a report.

Download our informational flyer: Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Just Showed Up! Now What?.

Immigration Information

Immigration Services and Support


California Dream Act (AB 130 and AB 131)

The California Dream Act (Assembly Bill 130 and Assembly Bill 131) allows undocumented and nonresident documented students who meet certain requirements to apply for and receive:

  • Scholarships
  • State-administered financial aid
  • Community college fee waivers
  • Cal grants

Make sure your high school has verified your GPA.

Learn more at or call (888) 224-7268.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

DACA is a federal program for people who came to the US as children and meet several eligibility requirements. DACA provides a two-year deportation reprieve and applicants may apply for a work authorization permit, which is subject to renewal. It does not provide lawful status. Only adults who were 31 years old or younger on June 15, 2012 qualify for this program.

For more information about DACA, visit


The term Dreamer refers to undocumented students who were brought to the US by their parents as minors and either entered the country without inspection or overstayed their visas. They face unique legal uncertainties and limitations within the US educational system. The term Dreamer is commonly used by students who connect with the DREAM Act movement.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

An ITIN is a tax-processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status and are used for federal tax reporting only. These numbers are not intended to serve any other purpose. An ITIN can be used to apply to college, but is not required.

International Student

International students include those who currently hold specific visas. Undocumented students are not considered international applicants because many do not qualify for a visa and do not have to go through the international admission process.

Learn more about international student admissions.

Mixed Status Family

A mixed status family is one in which some family members are US citizens and/or legal residents while others remain undocumented. For example:

  • A documented student with undocumented parents
  • A documented student with undocumented siblings


The term non-citizen applies to students who:

  • Are not US citizens or permanent residents
  • Do not hold a valid visa
  • Are not seeking a visa for study or documentation for residency in the US

Overstayed Visa

An individual with an overstayed visa is one who has stayed in the US after their tourist, visitor, or student visa has expired.

Senate Bill (SB) 68

SB 68 is a law that expands on AB 540 to enable students to count years spent at a California Community College and adult education towards AB 540 eligibility. Additionally, SB 68 allows the completion of an associate degree or satisfaction of the minimum requirements to transfer to the University of California or California State University as sufficient for students to qualify for in-state tuition and financial aid.

Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

The Secretary of Homeland Security may designate a foreign country for TPS due to conditions in the country that temporarily prevent the country’s nationals from returning safely, or in certain circumstances, where the country is unable to handle the return of its nationals adequately. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services may grant TPS to eligible nationals of certain countries (or parts of countries), who are already in the United States. Eligible individuals without nationality who last resided in the designated country may also be granted TPS.